Poison Oak and Ivy Rash Misery. Tips for Coping.

Beware Poison Oak and Ivy

Beware Poison Oak and Ivy

I have had so many views on poison oak and ivy rash on my first blog, that I thought I needed to add more to what I know about this rash and the poisonous plant. There are several things that need to be considered.

First, wash the clothes that you had on while exposed to it in hot water or use bleach. Bleach will not only kill it but one can also use it to kill the plant outside. Do not use full strength as you may kill other plants around it.

After getting the clothes in the washer, scrub your hands and any exposed area of your body with a product that I keep under my sink at all times. Tecnu Extreme is a scrub that cuts the oils of the plant from your skin. It has little bits of grain like sand in it. The main thing to know is to use it as soon as you can. Using it within 30 minutes of exposure is best. However, as soon as you come in give yourself a good scrubbing with this product. There is a gel made by the same company that I use to help dry it up and to keep the itching down.

Now, some thoughts on the plant. Poison Oak and Ivy both have oil in the plant. Once it gets on us, we can smear it from place to place on our bodies. Not only that, but I have come to realize that we need to wash down our gardening tools as well. The oil may still be on them the next time we use them.

What about the door knob, the counter at the sink, or anything that we have touched with our hands after getting it on us? Yes, we need to wash those things with hot soapy water as well and rinse well.

I kept getting in on my forearm and didn’t realize that the only place I would sit while resting from working outside was at a table. When I sat there, I would put my forearms on it. So, for days I kept getting the oils off of that table on my arms. Once I thought about it, I washed it down good and no more getting a new rash.

The bad part is that I feel that no matter what I do, this rash is going to last at least two weeks. It always has with me. If we get to the oils from the plant first, we can save ourselves a lot of misery. That is key.

However, if you do get it, use the gel but the main thing that helps me with the itching is an ice pack. Nothing and I mean nothing not even a doctors prescription helps more.

I have just learned of a product on the market that should prevent one from getting the oils of the plant on their skin. It is called Ivy Block. It should be used before going out where exposure to the plant is a possibility.

One should be able to find any of these products in their local drug store.

Be sure to read my other blog on how to keep the rash from itching so much.

Show My IP

Advertisements

10 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. bestelkado-1
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 01:08:25

    Hey there, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

    Reply

  2. miracleasv
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 03:14:18

    Love this Information, thank you a lot.

    Reply

  3. sassysweetbren
    Jul 11, 2010 @ 15:46:23

    Great advice Bit. It sounds like you have been exposed as many times as I have.

    Here is to us living forever without getting the rash again.

    Thanks for visiting my site. Come back and sit a spell.

    Reply

  4. Trackback: Poison Ivy Photos « SassySweetBren's Blog
  5. ukescorts
    Jul 10, 2010 @ 05:06:52

    It was very interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon. BTW, rather nice design you have at this blog, but what do you think about changing it once in a few months?

    Sara

    Reply

  6. The cure
    Jul 06, 2010 @ 13:41:31

    Try Oatmeal the syrup in it is the best I have found.. Mix it up kind of runny and put the syrup on with a cotton ball ..

    Reply

  7. walter
    Jun 26, 2010 @ 08:32:43

    I looked at a Tecnu product and it said the active ingredient was “homeopathic”. I looked up what homeopathic means (hyperdiluting and shaking, and claiming it gets stronger with each dilution) and didn’t come back to get it.

    Are there any other products that you tried? Ivy dry defense barrier cream and sunblock look interesting. Have you tried it?

    WJ

    Reply

    • sassysweetbren
      Jun 26, 2010 @ 10:18:38

      Homeopathic means to treat with means other than modern medicine. People who use herbs and other things to treat an illness are using homeopathic products. Before modern medicine, people only had roots, herbs and such to treat an illness.

      I would not be afraid of using it. I have used this product for years and if I use it within 30 minutes of being exposed, I never get a rash. If I do not get to it within that time frame, I use the scrub on a daily basic to clean the area and then use the lotion by the same name to keep it from itching. Don’t forget about using an ice park to help with the pain.

      Ivy Block is suppose to prevent the oil from reaching the skin. I have used it before with good results.

      One other thing that I have become aware of is a soap to wash your hand with. The name is Fels-Naptha soap. It is an old soap which will cut the oil from your clothing when washed in it.

      It can be found in some hardware and grocery stores. I just found it at Ace Hardware. It is a bar and is not expensive.

      If you are exposed to poison oak, I suggest that you not only use Tecnu Extreme but keep some of the Fels-Naptha soap on hand.

      Thanks for reading my blog. Come back any time.

      Reply

  8. Johnxh
    Jun 24, 2010 @ 15:33:21

    You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

    Reply

  9. Bit
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 10:25:00

    Yeah.

    Yuck on that stuff and bee stings.

    The main trick is cut the oil (urushiol) from the plant, as soon as possible (don’t wait to finish the job), and rinse thoroughly. If you have nothing else, dish washing detergent has oil cutting emulsifiers in it. Do all that before working at it with the pumice soap. Baking Soda might provide some relief from itching, but you’re gonna put up with any reaction for 2-6 weeks. If you wait for the rash to appear, it’s a bit late.

    Benedryl will help some. Reactions can become worse with successive reactions–lifetime cummulutive effects. Be forewarned; the next occurance could be worse.

    This stuff is a border plant and it likes to climb on stuff. So if you have a fir tree stand bordered by lawn, that’s a prime place for it to grow (Ask me how I know…) 🙂 .

    Wear long sleeved shirts and gloves when you do that (go where exposure might occur), and peel them off very carefully when you are done–and directly into the washing machine (I wash ’em twice). …and it doesn’t matter what the temperature is… I do that even when I’m just mowing the lawn by the border. Don’t be using power clippers or trimmers if you suspect the presence of poison plants. Never burn the stuff–never–the smoke will affect your lungs and you could be looking at hospitalization.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Author

Blog Author

%d bloggers like this: